ROTHSCHILD TIMELINE

History of Halton – Timeline

1545 - 1972

1545

Henry Bradshawe bought the Manor of Halton from King Henry VIII

c 1560

The manor was sold to the Fermoy family

1720

Estate sold to the Sir Francis Dashwood, 15th Baron le Despencer,  for £19,000.

1793

Sir John Dashwood King, 4th Baronet, inherited the Halton Estate from his father.

c 1795

Dashwood Mansion built on the site of the present Garden Close

1797

The Wendover Arm canal was completed.

1850

Halton Estate was sold to Lionel Rothschild.

1868

Industrial Exhibition held at the grounds of Dashwood Manor.

1870

Dashwood Mansion was demolished.

1880

Lionel Rothschild left Halton Estate to his son Alfred. Alfred extended the estate to include 9 farms, 57 cottages and a school.

1881

According to the census, 195 people lived in Halton.

1901

According to the census, 188 people lived in Halton.

1911

According to the census, 195 people lived in Halton.

1914

The outbreak of WW1, Estate workers went to fight. Alfred loaned the estate to his friend, Lord Kitchener for use by the infantry.

1918

Alfred died, left the estate to his nephew, Lionel.

1919

Lionel sold the estate to the Secretary of State at the War Office for £112,000
Later the Ministry of Defence.

1931

According to the census 3,352 people lived in Halton this includes RAF personnel.

1956

MOD sold off the village Post Office and adjoining cottage to Mary Sharp.

1972

15 further parcels of land were sold off to private individuals, developers and the Local Council