Halton Village

5

7

6

4

3

9

11

2

10

1

13

8

12

  • 1 Bridle Manor

    BRIDLE MANOR

     

    Lionel de Rothschild bought the Halton estate from the Dashwood-King family and bequeathed it to his son Alfred in 1879.

    What is now known as Bridle Manor was formerly known as Grange Yard Stables and was part of the Grange House estate which was part of the Dashwood estate. Grange House was known as Halton Cottage before the Dashwoods enlarged it.

    After the Dashwood family left Halton, Alfred de Rothschild expanded the Halton Estate from 1400 acres to 3250 acres which included the Grange House Estate. In so doing he demolished and largely rebuilt the village of Halton. Once under Rothschild ownership the stables took on their present form as they were either extended and/or renovated. They were used to house the Halton fire engine and the horses which drew it, as well as the carriage and horses of Frederick Hubbard. The fire engine was called out by the ringing of a large bell, almost certainly the one removed by Healy the builder from the bell tower of 6 Bridle Manor.

    Halton House Estate Agent Frederick Hubbard lived in Grange House when he worked for the often absent Alfred, before WW1. Bridle Manor residents have a copy of a photograph of him in his horse drawn carriage outside what is now 6 Bridle Manor.

    George Budd, Alfred’s Head Coachman lived in what is now 5 Bridle Manor.

    In the 1940’s and 50’s Grange House was occupied by the Halton Camp Commanding 0fficer and then became the 2nd officer’s mess.

    It is now clear that Grange House was demolished sometime in the early 1970’s as local people who lived in the area as children remember playing in its ever crumbling remains.  What was the Grange House site is now St Michaels Close and it is possible that any existing house deeds for the Close may shed light on its earlier history.

    Subsequently in 1914, Alfred de Rothschild leased the Estate to the War Office and after his death in 1918, without issue, his nephew Lionel inherited the estate and sold it to the MOD for half its probate value in 1919.

    A WW1 photo of Grange Yard stables [now Bridle Manor] with ancient jeep and soldiers, shows the long lost decorative gas lamp, 3 sentry boxes which stand outside what is now a bedroom window. At that time there was a walk through passage way leading to the toilet block at the back. The builder Healey was supposed to demolish it but never did. It stands today on the boundary of numbers 5 and 6.

    Clearly remembered by local residents who were children 1955-65 is that Jolly the Blacksmith had his forge in the courtyard. Some of the carriage houses [now 1, 2 and 3 Bridle Manor] had hay lofts in frequent use.

    Final occupant of Grange Yard stables was the Halton Camp Saddle Club who were certainly here until the 1960’s. (More information is needed). We still have the name of Dusty the horse scratched into the wall of our house and assume that was where he/she was tied up. We have a number of photographs of riders and horses. An original notice about the Saddle Club remains on the inside of the courtyard boundary wall.

    In 1972 MOD parcelled up 5.88 acres of land adjoining the churchyard, Grange Yard Stables, Grange House land and sold it to M.J. Shanley the builder. In 1977 the piece which became St Michaels Close was sold on to Eldee Builders and in 1977 Grange Yard Stables was bought by Mr P.C. Healy. He converted it into 7 private dwellings. Bridle Manor could just have easily been named Grange Mews! The name Bridle Manor was chosen by the Parish Council.

    Once the conversion had taken place the seven households quickly formed a Bridle Manor Residents’ Association which meets every three months to discuss management of shared areas. For over 25 years they have held a summer lunch in the middle of the courtyard, rarely being forced indoors because of rain. Each Christmas they place a large Christmas tree in the centre of the courtyard, usually inviting local children to join them as the lights are switched on.

     

    Irene Short

    6 Bridle Manor

     

  • 2 Ivy Cottage

    Ivy Cottage

     

    Information to Follow

     

     

  • 3 Dashwood / 15 Halton Village

    Dashwood/15 Halton Village

     

    Information to Follow

     

     

     

  • 4 Village Hall / School

    Village Hall/School

     

    Information to Follow

     

     

  • 5 Tree Tops

    Tree Tops

     

    Restoration of the John Dashwood Pond - Halton

     

    1. The pond is shown in its present shape but without the island on the 1973 map of Halton Parish now in the County Records office.
    2. It was probably a fish pond, filled by a spring at its south end.
    3. The island and a fairly elaborate brick sluice were added while in the ownership of the Rothschild family, who subsequently sold the estate to the Royal Flying Corps during the first World War.
    4. In 1972 the RAF sold the, by then derelict pond, and the adjacent house 'Tree Tops' to Mr and Mrs Farnsworth who decided to restore the pond.
    5. The pond was cleared, cleaned and graded by John Atkinson of Brackley in 1993.
    6. Having restored the sluice brickwork in its original style, the flow from the spring was found to be too slow to fill the pond behind a traditional 'monk board' or guillotine sluice gate, unless its stream side was solidly dammed with clay which does not comply with the emptying criterion of the Lakes and Rivers Act. A 9" diameter water board gate-valve was therefore built into the manhole on the down stream side.
    7. The footbridge had to be a simple structure appropriate to its rural setting, spanning the 51ft from the island without intermediate supports. It had to be wide enough for a loaded wheelbarrow to cross and strong enough to support a close paced load or people. Except for the occasional creosoting the bridge had to be reasonably maintenance free and the parapets comfortable for contemplation.
    8. The bridge beam was sawn from a 90ft Douglas Fir tree chosen for a slight bend in its centre and felled on the Wentworth Estate, Virginia Water. This was too long to treat in a pressure tank and has a cambered top covered with a waterproof felt. All the small timbers have been pressure preserved and the joists between are designed to drain water.
    9. Mr & Mrs Farnsworth stocked the pond with waterplants (all native species) supplied by Peter Carey of Shelspit Wildflowers, Thornborough, Buckinghamshire.
    10. In 2007 the house and grounds were sold to Grace & Peter Dickson who have continued to maintain the pond and island. Fish are now present again in the pond and are monitored by specialists ensuring their health.
  • 6 Lower Farm

    Lower Farm

     

     

    • In the 17th century Talisman Cottage was one of a number of farmhouses in the village. Before it was extended in the 19th century it had served as an Estate Office and also as a tavern

     

     

    • In 1870 the building was extended by architect George Devey to form the principal Rothschild estate farm in the village

     

     

    • Over the years there were a variety of farmers living in the house including the Blundell Family.  It was the RAF Officers Mess during the time Halton estate was taken over by the Air Ministry

     

     

    • In 1985 Lower Farm was converted into a series of homes – Talisman Cottage, the Kiln, the Buttery, Spirals, Cobbles and the Flat

     

    • In 1992 the Leys, a collection of outbuildings, was converted into a community of barns

     

  • 7 Canal Cottage

    Canal Cottage

     

    Information to Follow

     

     

  • 8 23-25 Halton Village / Post Office

    23-25 Halton Village / Post Office

     

    Information to Follow

     

     

     

     

  • 9 The Bothies

    The Bothies

     

    Information to Follow

     

     

  • 10 Garden House / Dashwood House

    Garden House / Dashwood House

     

    Information to Follow

     

     

    Garden House was originally a small cottage, probably single story, with an upper floor added later, standing in the grounds of the Dashwood Estate and adjacent to the Manor House. The Manor house was situated on what eventually became the Rothschild orchard and vegetable gardens.

     

    In 1888 a side extension was added to the house to accommodate Alfred’s head gardener along with living quarters for his Butler.

     

    Mr. Robert Sanders was appointed Head Gardener and was faced with the challenging task along with his team of fulfilling Lord Alfred’s orders, often at very short notice, of creating and maintaining his exotic gardens at the Manor House. The photographs of Garden House at the time show that his own garden was in itself a masterpiece. The grounds then included what is now The Orchard and Garden Close as additions to the Manor House and must have required a great deal of work.

     

    As recently as the early 1980s the greenhouses, potting and equipment  buildings were in the field adjacent to the then Rothschild cricket club ( now Halton Tennis Club ). It was a sad day when we watched them being demolished, revealing a beautiful  tiled mosaic floor. It could have been a property developer’s dream and preserved an interesting part of the garden history.

     

    When the Rothschild estate was purchased by the Government for use by the RAF in 1918 the greenhouses were used for market gardening with Robert Sanders in charge of the project and raising much needed funds.

     

    During the 2nd World War Garden House was requisitioned by the Government and was occupied by the chief Education Officer.

     

    In 1972 Garden House was sold by The Secretary of State for Defence to Jeremy Harford since when the garden has undergone various changes as can be seen in the photographs.

  • 11 St Michael's & All Angels Church

    St Michael & All Angels Church

     

    Parish Church. 1813 by Henry Rhodes, restored and remodelled 1886-7.

    Built from squared blocks of sarsen or greyweather stone, probably fromnear High Wycombe, the joints galletted with pieces of flint. Slateroofs. Simple lancet style, W. tower, with diagonal W. buttresses, small stair turret on S. side, door and 2-light window over on W. side, parapet with broken coping, nave and aisles. S. porch and short chancel. Interior: 4 bay nave, pointed arches with dogtooth ornament on high cylindricalpiers with leaf ornament to capitals and square bases also ornamented.Chancel arch on carved corbel heads, hoodmoulds with circular label stops; roof with curved braces and pendants, cusped spandrels, on angel head corbels. Chancel roof coffered and painted with enriched cornice and 3 bosses.Small pointed arched niches each side of tripel lancet E. window. Brass from former church reset on LH side of chancel. Organ in small W. galleryover 3 arched wood screen. C19 marble font has square fluted bowl on spiral stem and carved base.

     

  • 12 Old Halton House (The Cottage)

    Old Halton House (aka The Cottage)

     

    Information to Follow

     

     

  • 13 St Michael's Lodge

    St Michael's Lodge

     

    Information to Follow

     

     

    ST MICHAELS LODGE/MACEWEN RIDE

     

    The Lodge, as it was then known, is shown on the 1888 OS Map. The first occupant was  Mr Dale, a retired policeman, who was the estate security manager.  The Lodge had probably been completed in 1884 in time for Alfred de Rothschild’s grand opening party of Halton Mansion-now Halton House- in January of that year.

     

    Following the sale of the Halton Estate to the War Office in September 1919, the Lodge, in common with  other Victorian and earlier properties  in the village, became an officers’ married quarter, and was initially occupied by Group Captain Mosigneur Harry Beauchamp MC CBE who had started his military career as a soldier in the trenches of WWI. Harry remained at St Michaels until 1939,  devoting himself to the spiritual welfare of the RAF apprentices, In 1940 he was appointed  head of the Catholic religion in the RAF in which capacity he took his ministry to  every theatre of war and was decorated by several foreign governments. Harry Beauchamp probably named the Lodge, St Michaels, possibly after the village church, St Michaels and all Angels.

     

    Local farmer Michael Blundel remembers his boyhood friend  living in St Michaels Lodge during WWII, the son of an RAF Padre named Rogers.  In 1949 when I arrived at Halton to start my RAF apprenticeship,  Group Captain Barraclough, Head of the Apprentices' technical school in Chestnut Avenue, lived in St Michaels Lodge until circa 1952/3 when, a Mr Doughery,  estate manager for RAF Halton, resided here until the late 1950s.

     

    The RAF married quarters build started at RAF Halton in 1950 and by the early 1960s there was sufficient to accommodate all married officers, and the Lodge was vacated and boarded up.  Uncared for, it deteriorated and was in a sad state when sold at auction at the Bell Hotel, Aylesbury in 1971. Mr Kosiack, a former Polish soldier, bought it as an investment (he owned a house in Wendover at the time). We bought it directly from him in late 1973-just asked him across his garden fence to sell it to us- no agents.  He doubled his money!! We extended the Kitchen and added another room on the lower floor of St Michaels in 1990.

     

    Note of historical accuracy

     

    MacEwen Ride was named after Air Vice-Marshal Sir Norman MacEwen CB CMG DSO who was commandant of RAF Halton, 1931-34.  Most roads at RAF Halton are named after former Commandants of the Apprentice School. MacEwen, apparently, was often seen riding his horse past St Michaels Lodge along the road  to Halton House.   “MacEwen" should be spelt thus, as it was when the RAF had responsibility for producing the road signs.  Not “McEwen", as ADVC decided after St Michaels Lodge had been handed over to the council for rateable services in the mid 1970s. Or was it a computer that decided to change the spelling?

  • 14 The Leys

    The farm outbuildings were present on local maps from 1796, 1840 and 1880 but the shape and positions have altered on each. The position of the large barn and the East range seem similar to today, the West range has a different arrangement of buildings although their position is similar. The farmhouse can be seen built parallel to the village road.

    As already stated elsewhere the Halton estate was bought by the Rothschilds in 1850 and the farm and outbuildings became the principal estate farm extending from the present day airfield as far as the Village Gate public house by the Wendover boundary. The original 3 ranges of outbuildings were added to in the 1920’s by a fourth range immediately behind and parallel to the farmhouse forming the square of outbuildings which would in future form The Leys development. This newer range became milking sheds. The other three ranges were used as grain stores, lambing sheds and livestock housing. There were several additional buildings in the central courtyard and attached to the large barn.

    In 1992 the buildings were converted into 12 dwellings and were named The Leys by Michael Blundell, the farmer at Lower Farm. During conversion it was found that the large barn (now numbers 5 and 6, The Leys) had at one time been thatched as the old pegs holding the thatch were visible. The barn timbers are thought to be old ship timbers and the barn itself was not built originally in the area but had been moved to its present location possibly from Sussex.

    At one time there was a bridge over the Wendover Arm canal behind number 5 The Leys which carried a road which ran from the first Halton House, built by the Dashwoods (in the Garden Close area) to the main village road, joining it near what is now a Rothschild house called The Kennels. Evidence of the bridge abutments can still be seen.

    Moira Towler
  • 15 A case study of a farmer who lived in Lower   Farm

    In 1840 the Tithe map shows a range of farm buildings where Lower Farm stands today. The main farmhouse (Talisman cottage today) was mostly rectangular in shape and thatched. To the right of the farmhouse (the Leys today) was l-shaped and to the left there were l-shaped buildings where the drive is today. The Gambells farmed Lower Farm and the Goodsons farmed the land on the other side of the road.

    Parish records reveal that Thomas and Mary lived at Lower Farm with their child Peter who was born in 1813. By 1836 Peter had married Ellen and they had a child named Ellen. Between 1837 – 60 they had 10 further children. One of their children – William died in 1851 aged 1 year 8 months.

    At the time of the 1861 Census we can assume that the surrounding land is owned by the Dashwoods. Peter and Ellen are living at Lower Farm with their son, Thomas who is 21 years listed also as a farmer. Ann Cox, the dairymaid, George Hearne and Henry Syster are carters also living in the house.

    At the time Lower Farm was extended the 1871 census reveals Peter Gambell employed 18 men and 14 boys on the farm. He farmed 400 acres. He was 50 years of age. At this time John, Elizabeth, Lucy, and Anne are living at home. Ann Reen is the house servant and John Abrams is a general servant. Other neighbours listed in the 1871 Census refer to grooms, lace makers, game keepers and straw plaiters. At the time of the addition to Lower Farm it can be assumed that Alfred Charles de Rothschild Esq. is lord of the manor and owner of the land. The soil is chalky and the subsoil is chalk, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans etc. The total estate of around 1,455 acres contains about 500 acres of beech wood. Rateable value at that time was £2,624. The Kelly’s Trade Directory for 1887 lists the population of Halton Village as being 195.

    Sylvia Oram